The Center for Productive Longevity would like to hear your inspirational later-life story! We encourage your creativity and willingness to share what has made this stage of your life extraordinary in the hopes of (1) stimulating others to continue leading meaningful and rewarding lives after 55, (2) demonstrating that older people can remain productively engaged after traditional retirement age, and (3) changing the pervasive national mindset that when people reach a certain age, they should move to the sidelines.
Describe your Inspirational Later-Life Story, and here are some questions that may be helpful:
- In what ways have your later years been extraordinary?
- Has there been one remarkable event/experience, or has this next stage of life been characterized by the unexpected?
- Was this kind of event/experience/life planned or did it just evolve?
- Did you have “a bucket list” that influenced your decisions?
- In what ways did these events/experiences impact you? Were they “life-changers”?
- Has your story/experience impacted others–individuals, or in policies or practices?
- What inspirational thoughts and messages would you share with others on making the later years more fulfilling and impactful?
Submissions will be judged on how well they:
- Capture the imagination.
- Describe an extraordinary/creative/innovative later-life story or experience.
- Describe compelling driving forces behind any extraordinary choices/events.
- Describe a genuine impact on the storyteller.
- Demonstrate a definite impact on others, on policies or practices.
- Inspire the reader to do/learn/experience something new.
- Provide tangible advice for other Baby Boomers on making their later years more fulfilling, inspirational and impactful.
Please limit your submissions to not more than 1,200 words.